U.S. News & World Report recently ranked Kingston Elementary and Old Donation School as the No. 1 elementary and middle schools in Virginia. Old Donation School, which has students in grades two through eight and is the home of the Edward E. Brickell Academy for Advanced Academics & Arts, was also ranked as the No. 2 elementary school in the state.
Arrival & Dismissal Policy
- Parent Drop-Off Procedures (See Attached Map)
- Parent Pick-Up Procedures (See Attached Map)
- Transportation Changes
- If a parent/guardian chooses to bring their child to school, the children are allowed in the school beginning at 8:25 a.m. Students should not be dropped off prior to 8:25 a.m. as there is no supervision available before this time. Parents are asked to follow the traffic pattern shown on the map. Please do not start lining up before 8:25. We must have room for staff to be able to get in and park.
- This year, parents will drive all the way along the yellow line and stop at the “red star”. We will have three-six staff members opening the car doors, and monitoring, so students can safely walk along the sidewalk to the side entrance.
- Student arrival will be extended to allow for mitigation strategies to take place. We will begin our parent drop-off procedures at 8:25 a.m. and continue until the bell rings at 8:45 a.m. If you arrive after 8:45 a.m., you will need to park and bring your child(ren) inside to the front security desk to sign them into school.
- When exiting the property after dropping off your child(ren), you will have to take a right turn only. There is a city sign informing you that you can only turn right between 8:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. As a reminder, Special Operations and Emergency Vehicles are housed down Leroy Rd., so it is imperative that we maintain a steady flow of traffic and not create gridlock on Seaboard Rd.
Parent Drop-Off Map
- If you are an everyday Parent Pick-Up, you will need a placard that will need to be displayed in your front windshield. This will serve as your ID to pick up your child(ren). You will need to present your ID to someone in the main office to receive your 2 placards prior to the first day of school.
- Pickup time will be between 3:15 p.m. - 3:25 p.m.
- If you arrive prior to your pickup time, you will be asked to turn around and park until your allotted pick-up time.
- When you arrive on campus, drive towards the gym in the back of the school.
- You will need to stop at the end of the “yellow line” where a staff member will see your placard and radio to staff in the gym that you have arrived.
- You will then be asked to continue along the “blue line” and stop at the “red star." A staff member will then ensure your child gets in your car safely.
- If you are not an everyday Parent Pick-Up, you will send in a note or email before 2:15 p.m. to notify school of change and then follow the above procedures. When you get to the end of the “yellow line”, staff will radio to ensure we have received a note informing us of the change in student transportation. Once confirmed, we will have your student sent out for pick-up. We must receive notification of the change, in writing, prior to 2:15 p.m. the day the change takes place. If we did not receive a note, you will be asked to park and go to the main office for assistance.
- Due to the high demands of meeting the CDC guidelines, staff is limited in assisting dismissal needs at the end of the day. If you need to pick up your child prior to your reserved time, your student must have a note the morning of, so staff can prepare accordingly. The note should clearly indicate the time of pick up. Office staff will allow one person into the office at a time. We ask that you plan accordingly, arrive promptly at the time given on the note, and please be patient while waiting.
- In the event a student needs to leave school early, the student is only able to leave with a parent or guardian. In cases where someone other than the parent or guardian will be picking up your child, please inform the school in writing. Identification is required for any individual picking up a student.
- If you need to pick your child up early from school, please plan to do so prior to 2:45 p.m. If you arrive after 2:45 p.m., you will be asked to join the Parent Pick-up process, which begins with student dismissal at 3:15 p.m.
Parent Pick-Up Map
Please maintain open lines of communication with your child’s teacher and the office staff. All transportation changes must be submitted in writing. Please complete the transportation change note and send it in with your child to school or drop it off at the front office prior to 2:15 p.m. on the day of the change. Transportation changes will only be accepted via note/email prior to 2:15 p.m. to ensure your child’s safety. Because there are times when teachers are out and a substitute is filling in, teacher email is not a reliable form of communication. Please use the email firstname.lastname@example.org to communicate a change in transportation home.